Hey, hey, party people. It’s that time of year–
the this-is-our-holiday-card-photo-so-everyone-smile-and-act-civilized time of year–
and I’m getting lots of inquiries about mini-sessions from new and returning clients. Yes, I do them, and yes, I do them for holiday pics.
But first, let me explain what a mini-session is not, particularly with me. I know the term “mini-session” is used very often in the world of portrait photography, but–as with most things–I am a horse of a different color.
- It’s not a cheaper way to get a session. If you’re on a budget, I hear ya, sister.
- When we first moved to Texas, my husband accepted a lower salary to get us here, we had to pay for the move from Massachusetts, we still had two outstanding grad school loans, and I had a newborn and wasn’t working at all–our budget for going out to eat was ordering a pizza ONCE A MONTH and the local thrift store owners knew me by first name. I get it.
- If you know someone super deserving of a complimentary session, contact me. I do my best to donate at least one session a quarter (or one a month when my schedule allows) through school auctions or Preemie Prints or helping small businesses grow. I ask my kids every day after school about what they did that was kind or generous that day, and I am a firm believer in leading by example.
- Newborn sessions cannot be mini-sessions with me. I have moms call me all the time and say something to the effect of, “I just want one pose with the baby holding her head in her hands.” That takes hours. With me, it simply can’t be accomplished in a few minutes.
- Mini-sessions (with me) are for returning clients. It usually takes me a regular session to get familiar with your family dynamic and personality of the kiddos, which helps things go smoothly when we do a mini-session that might only last 10 minutes. Every once in a while I’ll make a RARE exception, if you can really convince me that a mini-session would be the best option.
- Mini-sessions aren’t typically blogged or previewed, because 1. There are only 5 images in the gallery. 2. The turnaround is 1 week to complete.
So, what is a mini-session with me?
- It’s a way to get those one or two shots you want. There will be 5 images in your gallery. A regular session (25 images) is the time when you might tell me, “do your thing,” and I’ll get a wide variety of shots. The mini-session will be the exact shots we talk about.
- In pics with the little dude below, our pre-determined shots to get were 1. little man sitting up 2. family pic 3. naked little booty. In her gallery, this momma received 1. one family pic 2. two sitting up options 3. one naked booty 4. two others that I loved
- In the pics with the sisters below, the lovely momma of these sweet sisters wanted one huge canvas of her girls together, so our pre-determined shot was to get a great one of them together. In her gallery, she received 1. three options of the girls together 2. a couple of the girls individually (mainly because the littlest bit is in the stage of keeping her tongue out 24/7, and it made me nostalgic for when my girl was in that stage, and because that light and those lashes on the biggest…ugh, LOVE).
- For products, you can still have the option of buying digitals or having a proper gallery view. And, if you’ll let me, I’ll try to convince you to hang up some beautiful art on your walls.
Ready to book a session?
If you have questions, give me a shout. And if you don’t call me, don’t forget to take those milestone shots and–every once in a blue moon–put it on your calendar to print a few. :)
508.768.5808 or firstname.lastname@example.org